Air Conditioner Energy Costs
Tips to raise the cool & lower the cost
Does the total on your energy bill make you sweat? Then perhaps it's time to do a little air conditioning maintenance.
Even though many people believe that air conditioners are the only way to beat the summer heat, you can still enjoy your air-conditioned house while doing your part to cut down on any wasted energy your air conditioner is sucking up.
- Draw drapes, shades, blinds over windows during the daytime or install awnings or window coverings to block out the sun and heat.
- Install ceiling fans to promote air circulation and fresh breezes.
- Plant some trees to shade your windows from the direct sunlight.
- Lower the air conditioning setting while you're out.
- Check your attic, windows and basement foundation to make sure your home is insulated properly.
- Have your ducts cleaned.
- Get your central air conditioning system serviced each spring by your utility company.
- Have a professional seal and insulate leaky ducts.
- Clean or replace air conditioner filters once a month or as needed to promote energy efficiency.
- Seal up holes around plumbing and heating pipes.
- Is your home painted a dark color? Dark homes absorb 70% to 90% of the sun's energy while light-colored exteriors reflect heat away from your home.
- Consider replacing standard window panes with coated windows to reduce heat and window glare.
- Shade room air conditioners from the sun with an AC unit cover ($10-$30) to lessen chances of burn-out.
- Apply a reflective coating to your roof.